Friday, September 21, 2007

I love living in St Louis :)



These are pictures from the annual Forest Park Balloon Race last weekend. It is an invitation-only balloon race as it is (according to the announcer) the largest balloon race held in a metropolitan area. Apparently most balloon races are held outside of cities, and this one is in the heart of St. Louis. It is free, as are many activities in StL. :) Friday night they have a balloon glow where the balloons are lit up at night, and then Saturday is the race. The first balloon to go up is the Energizer bunny (the hot "hare" balloon) and then the "hounds" follow. The balloon to drop a bag of birdseed closest to the "hare" balloon wins. I took over 100 pictures on Saturday, but I'm pretty sure you don't want to scroll through 100 balloon pictures, so I just shared a few. We were right next to the balloons as they were filling up and lifting off so I got a lot of pics of that as well as all of the balloons as they floated overhead. The last picture is from the Children's Hospital parking garage, and gives you a pretty good idea of how many balloons were there (70!). It was a beautiful day for a balloon race and we had a great time.

So I know we're supposed to be planning to travel, but we haven't had much time to sit down and discuss what we need to get done. I think the first order of business is to get plane tickets, and right now we're leaning towards one-way tickets (no, we're not moving to Ukraine). Two sets of one-way tickets are about the same cost as a roundtrip ticket plus one change fee. The chances of us choosing the correct return date are pretty slim. :) Plus, if you buy roundtrip tickets you're tied into one airline. So even if you need to change your return date, if they don't have 4 seats available until 2 weeks later than you want to return you're kind of stuck. Some people have had to throw away the return portion of their roundtrip tickets and buy new one-way tickets anyway, and we'd certainly prefer not to have to do that. Regardless, we haven't completely decided yet. It's looking like the flights will be about $500 each for one-way, and roundtrip is running about $900. So...

We also need to start making a packing list, but every time I start thinking about it I get so excited I can't sit still long enough to make a list. LOL And I've decided I'm absolutely terrified of becoming a parent. :) :) But also VERY ready!!! :) :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Courtney-We had emailed a few months ago, but I can't locate your email address again. My husband and I live in St. Louis and adopted a boy in Nov 2005 from Ukraine. We highly recommend Standard Travel on Hampton. Talk with Mike, hopefully he is still there. He knew exactly what we needed when I called him and I felt so comfortable with them. We talked to him from Ukraine and he even made our hotel reservations in the Amsterdam Airport when we flew home. Mike was great!!! If you want to talk again, just email me. kitchell2000@sbcglobal.net. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Vickie

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you love living in St. Louis!
Mom

Anonymous said...

We are adopting in Ukraine also. Our appointment is December 5th, hope we meet you there.
Fran
new blogger
Rahnjourney.blogspot.com

Julie said...

I love this post... it's so you! I got to thinking of how many pictures you'll have of your kids soon. Hundreds and hundreds!

The plane ticket thing makes a lot of sense to me. Especially since you're going with two but coming home with more. Do you know who you're kids are? Have they sent you pictures? Not that I think you should post them, I'm just so excited for you and wondered how much info they give you at this time.

Laurel said...

Hey Courtney:
WooooHooooo - I haven't checked your blog is a while and I'm sooooo happy to see you have a date. And, it's earlier than you expected, even better!!! Christmas in Ukraine should be a memorable one and you'll get all finished before the Ukrainian holidays start. Great timing!
We purchased one-way tickets for this trip for the same reasons you mentioned. We did that last time also and it worked out fine. I would not do that mid-summer but any other time of the year it proves to be the best way to do it.
I can't wait to pray you through your journey to find your precious kids. It will be so nice to finally have a face to put with the dream, won't it?! :-)
Laurel

Nataliya said...

The pictures are gorgeous, I've never seen a balloon race before!

The one-way ticket is a very good idea. We've also got one-way tickets for one leg of our journey. The plane seats are available in the winter, so you should be all set when booking your return trip!

Tonya said...

You'll make fantastic parents so no freaking out about that. Aim to underpack. You'll be fine. You can buy everything you need in UA and you'll be glad not to have to lug all that stuff around. Make sure you take a belt to hold your pants up. And zip lock bags.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
Mark I think it is wonderful that you and your lovely wife plan to adopt! I love to hear about people fulfilling their dreams and expanding their families. It will be an amazing adjustment for all involved.

I will keep you, your wife, and soon to be children in my prayers.

Shenell Craig :)
St. Louis CHildren's Hospital
slc3530@bjc.org

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your travel date. I'm so happy for you.

Christy Salley
St. Charles, MO
Mother of Phillip
Adopted 12-6-05
Simfuropol, Ukraine

Courtney said...

Julie--No, we don't know anything about the kids and we won't until we get there. Then we have to choose! We're praying God makes it very clear who our kids are.

Christy--Your cell phone has now been to Ukraine and back TWICE since we got it from you. Thanks! :) :)