Tuesday, September 11, 2007

That was interesting... (day 20)

For those of you who don't want to read about our day-to-day but are solely interested in the adoption, no news yet. ;) Check back on Thursday...or next Tuesday...or next Thursday... :) :) (The SDA announces appointments on Tuesdays and Thursdays.)

Last night was our first orchestra rehearsal. I'm not even sure "interesting" is the right word to describe it. We're definitely going to enjoy the band more than the orchestra, but we'll probably stick it out for the semester in both. It's good practice for both of us and will help develop my patience. Yes, even after all of the adoption waiting I have a lot of patience-growing to do, and it felt pretty evident on Monday night!! It ended up being a 2 hour rehearsal with a 15 minute break and a half hour of the conductor trying to sort out music, which I personally felt should have been done before the rehearsal and not 1 hour into it. *sigh* But I remind myself that I don't know his situation, and he may have been busy with actual important things before rehearsal (in the big scheme of things, this is pretty unimportant). :)

I had an interesting dream last night. I should preface this by saying that I have very vivid dreams, and they're often very odd. ;) But this one really struck home for me.
I was in a yard, almost more like a field, facing away from a building. There was a low stone wall on my right. On either side of me were two children, kneeling with me in the grass. I was singing "How great Thou art", and I looked to the left and the little boy was singing along with me. He knew all of the words, even to the verses I didn't know. He was maybe 4 years old, blond and so skinny! But he smiled and sang along with me. I looked forward again, still singing, and Mark came up behind me and put his hands on my shoulders and said "They're not really there, you know." And the children were gone and it was just him and me in the field, and I hung my head.
I woke up singing "How great Thou art". :) The dream sounds really sad, and it's making me cry to remember it, but it wasn't sad in the dream. I just remember feeling so much joy that this little boy was singing to God with me.

There are two things that I find interesting about this dream. One, I often dream of children (almost every night) but I don't usually have any indication that they are mine. But there was a connection between me and this little boy, different than I have had in any of my other dreams. Two, I have been praying for a long time that God would be providing our children in Ukraine with someone to love them and watch over them until we can get there, but also that He would provide someone to show them His love and tell them about Him. I know they are probably too young to understand, but I want them to grow up knowing God in the same way Mark and I do.

5 comments:

Tonya said...

I cried.

Courtney, you will be amazed one of these days when you look back and see how all of these things fall into place. You can't see how all the peices will fit yet, but rest assured that God keeps the children we pray for. I have a totally emotionally healthy child who SHOULD NOT be emotionally healthy. She is a miracle.

Can't wait till you meet yours:).

Katie said...

What a cool dream. It does sound sad, and I know I can't begin to comprehend the journey you guys are on - but your heart for the Lord and for your kids is incredible.
Oh - and not necessarily looking for anyone in MI - just another resource to get insight on cloth diapering. I'll take email addresses if you've got 'em! :)

Nataliya said...

Oh, what a nice dream! I think it means it's getting closer and closer to the day when you finally meet your child!

Zack, Jenn and William said...

Courtney,
Pretty amazing dream! I'm in agreement with Tonya - one day you'll look back and have one of those "ah-ha" moments. But isn't it awesome and comforting to know that God is caring for our little ones even before we've laid eyes on them? :)

BTW, I got your message on our blog. I'll be glad to discuss our plane ticket decision with you if you'd like - feel free to email me!
dovefamily@bellsouth.net

Nataliya said...

Courtney, you asked about one-way tickets. Yes, we are thinking about this option. Some airlines have pretty decent one-way fares (for example, Aerosvit), and some charge more for one-way than for roundtrip!