Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Apparently we should have gone to Juilliard

**I apologize in advance for the spots on the pictures. For some reason the camera lens seems to be dirty...**

Tonight is our second concert with the University City community band (7pm, across from St Louis Bread Co/Panera on Delmar!). Last night we were asked to be put on the sub list for the St Louis Wind Symphony, which is apparently a professional-level ensemble although they don't get paid. Not bad for two weeks worth of playing, especially as rusty as we both are.

Speaking of rusty...
This is why we think our baseboards are either original or pretty close. These are square nails, and they are in every piece of baseboard we have pulled off minus one. I need to double-check the nails the next time I'm at the house--I may be able to get a little more information from our nails based on this site.

I'll let some of the pictures speak for themselves:
During (you already saw "before")...

After...

During...
After...

Mark removing baseboards very carefully:

Mark removing a section of the wall that had been drywalled (not so very carefully):

Like the purple??
Keep in mind that you don't see any pictures of me working because I am the one taking the pictures. I am working too. Really. :) Just ask the electrician who came last Friday, who had to help me break into the house by holding a ladder so I could shimmy up onto the roof and climb in a window. I now have my own set of keys, thank you very much. And we have an electrician. :)

**Call me whatever kind of music geek you like, but I just found a little slice of heaven on the internet. In the process of looking up Juilliard (to make sure I spelled it right), I came across this. Is it possible to be in love with a website? They've combined really old documents, music, and technology. I am overwhelmed with emotion.**

3 comments:

Julie said...

Wow! You guys are cruising through the demolition!

I checked out that site. It's really interesting. Easy to navigate though and amazing things to see.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys - I am so envious of your home. We loved working on our old farm house before the fire. We had the same type of nails and our home dated back to being built in the spring of 1900. Good luck and have fun! Congratulations to Mark on his degree.
~The Banta's

Tonya said...

Those nails look old.

I'm glad you're enjoying the demo.