Sunday, April 20, 2008

Do I have to post?

The longer I wait to post, the harder it becomes since I feel like I've got so much to catch up on. But I know a few of you out there who are probably wondering what happened this past week. I usually don't go quite this long without writing...

Brief summary (that's relative, of course):

  • Clothing drive for Ukraine with Master Provisions on Saturday (a week ago), in which we packed 2.5 tons of clothes to send to Ukraine. We love this ministry and have seen firsthand the work that MP does in Ukraine. If you are looking for a ministry to support, I would highly recommend them! The boys did great and we got some good laughs out of it, especially when Zhenya told me he was going to Ukraine for 5 minutes and then would come back and take his nap. :) :)
  • I was in a training class for work this week that kept me pretty busy. On top of that, I have to test for some software training certification by the end of this week, and study time has been scarce.
  • Mark has started a new job. I hadn't posted much about the whole process because we weren't sure where everything was going, but now that we're settled I feel comfortable going public. :) He continues to work at Children's part time, but he is working full time for a physical therapy outpatient clinic that specializes in hand therapy. He did a clinical at this clinic during grad school, so he's very familiar with the clinic and they with him. It's going to keep him busy, but is a really great opportunity.
  • I have some potential options at work that could use some prayer.
  • Zhenya bashed his head at school on Tuesday and ended up with a nice goose egg that has run the full range of bruise colors. According to him, it didn't hurt, and he will cry if it does so he must have hit it in just the right spot.
  • Dima had his first actual OT appointment this Friday, and it went really well. He was still very unsure when we first got there, but warmed up quickly and really enjoyed it.

I had posted previously about trying to incorporate more Christian music into our time together, and to that end I received a CD from Matt Maher which I've really enjoyed. Contemporary and upbeat but not too heavy for me. :) We also picked up a worship CD at Target (of all places) today. All of the songs on it are ones that we sing at church, so we help the boys learn the words and melodies. Speaking of singing, Mark and I will be ever so happy when Dima learns the alphabet song beyond D. He can recognize almost all of his letters now, but he doesn't know the song so we hear "A, B, C, D, A, B, C, D, A, B, C, D" in varying tones and with an occasional "W" thrown in (usually as "A, B, C, W...").

Zhenya has been more of a challenge lately. I really think he's testing some boundaries unrelated to the adoption other than that he hasn't had the opportunity to test them earlier. We're working on being consistent with discipline with him. As an adoptive parent, it's hard to balance the desire to give the boys all of the attention they've missed out on in their earlier lives and the need to raise them to behave appropriately (or what we think is appropriate).

9 comments:

Sarah Halter said...

Thanks for all the updates! Sounds like life is fairly normal for you. Dima's version of the alphabet song is hilarious!

Sarah said...

You will be glad that you put so much effort into worshiping with your boys while they are young. It is sometimes difficult when they are little, but the Lord really will speak to them and work in their hearts as they grow.
Blessings,
Sarah

SB said...

Dima only needs to be able to sing to G. That's all we have in the musical alphabet anyway - the rest is just icing. (Add H if you want him to visit Germany!)

Anonymous said...

If you figure out how to get your boys to behave appropriately let me know. Emelia has started throwing fits when she doesn't get her way. They are short lived but powerful. Here we go friends.... Tell Dima I am with him, all the good words start with A, B, C or D anyway, except ice cream so encourage him to a little further.

E

Anonymous said...

Of course you have to post!!! Glad to hear that things are still going okay and that they're pushing buttons like all the other Olmsteds:)

Tonya said...

We'll have to get Dima and Lyra together for a duet. That's how she sings the ABC song too.

ArtworkByRuth said...

No worries, I'm behind in my blog reading lately! Congrats on the new job,and hope God has given you clarity at yours! I have taken a part time job on top of my business as well and T has adjusted OK all things considered! Still love checking in on you, God Bless!

Anonymous said...

All these comments on the ABC song...me too! I love your description, that's something you wouldn't guess unless you've heard it! Guess the "w" sticks out!

Anonymous said...

ps that was judy gelber aka ms anonymous! :)