Thursday, April 10, 2008

Trivia

I don't like chicken soup. And, as I've thought about it the past few days, I've come to realize that I don't really like any broth-based soups. I like stews, and chilis, and cream-based soups.

That said, you have to question the wisdom of my planning to make tortilla soup from a recipe that is essentially just chicken and chicken broth (I know there are other recipes that are better, this just happened to be one I tried). I made it, and tasted it, and thought "yuck--there is no way the boys will eat this". So I cooked up some pasta and threw it in, and a few spices for good measure. I ate a small bowl (to set a good example, of course) and the boys devoured the rest of it. Seriously, they didn't leave any for Mark--they had THIRD helpings of it. I was in shock--and I'm really hoping that "pasta soup" doesn't become a new menu favorite. Of course, the toasted tortilla strips I made to go with it didn't hurt. They loved those even more than the soup.

And if you ask Zhenya what was in the soup, it's "water, icken, potsa, and uh-deeya" (water, chicken, pasta, and tortillas). :)

1 comment:

Tonya said...

I'm a cream soup lover too. My kids like the pasta and broth though. I can even throw in veggies they don't normally care for and they will still eat it!