Monday, April 07, 2008

Changes

Sometimes I get so frustrated with a perceived lack of progress. It just feels like we'll never get to a place where the boys can communicate clearly. I want so much for them to understand that this new life is permanent, but it's going to take a long time before they really understand that. So sometimes it feels like we're just spinning our wheels. And then I see this...

The picture on the left was taken in mid-December 2007 for Dima's Ukraine passport. The picture on the right was taken yesterday for his US passport. What a difference a few months makes!

The picture comparison came about because I heard back from the passports. If we don't send in the boys' certificates of citizenship, they will "be forced to deny [our] application". The CoCs have been sent off for correction, and that was the picture comparison. The boys' original CoCs had pictures on them that were taken in Ukraine, but since the CoCs needed to be corrected I had to send in two more pictures so we had to get new ones taken.

And in regards to progress, I do see it. It just sometimes sneaks up on me. I love that Dima is finally starting to act like a little boy. He loves to pretend he's a monkey, and it's hilarious to watch.

10 comments:

Diana said...

Wow. That's AMAZING! Probably because I'm around them all the time, I don't really notice the changes either. I'm going to have to try that with my kid pictures. I wonder if I'd see the same differences.

The Flying Eagle said...

Courtney,
What a difference just a few months in a loving family can make --- even if you are still struggling to communicate with words, I have a feeling the boys know exactly how you feel about them :-)
We mailed our Dossier today and our submission date is between May15-20. Shall be interesting to see the changes we experience in our home before the end of the year (hopefully!)

See ya! Monica

Nataliya said...

Wow, what a difference in less than 4 months! Please post Zhenya's pictures as well!

I'm surprised you need CoCs for the passports. The instructions on the passport application form DS-11 says: "If You Claim Citizenship Through Adoption by a U.S. Citizen Parent(s): Submit evidence of your permanent residence status, full and final adoption and your U.S. citizen parent(s) evidence of legal and physical custody." We submitted Rachel Ukrainian's passport and her adoption certificate, and it was enough! Can you go to another place to apply for the passports?

Courtney said...

When we submitted the application at the post office, the woman had no idea what she was doing. They wanted us to send the boys' UA birth certificates off, and we flat-out refused since we only have the one copy and we can't get another without a lot of hassle. It did state on the letter than we can send their UA passports and the adoption decree, but it has to be translated by an agency, blah, blah, blah, and ours was done by our facilitator and won't qualify according to the letter. So I'm hoping we get the CoCs back soon so I can send those off instead.

I'll try to post a comparison picture of Zhenya as well. I don't think he's changed as much, but I may be surprised. :)

Anonymous said...

That's amazing!!! I'm still working on graduating and getting a job but I really want to come out there sometime when I can to see all of you! Dima looks so happy:)

Missy and Kevin said...

I couldn't believe this picture. It broke my heart. I looked back at Deonna's first picture from the orphanage and compared it to one now and it is amazing. I guess you don't realize it when you see them everyday. He is beautiful. Deonna still talks about Dima. God bless you guys and take care.

Julie said...

Oh my goodness, that's amazing! I love his smile! You know, I think he looks like Mark :)

Kathy and Matt said...

The changes are remarkable.

It's amazing what only a few months of loving care in a family can do!

I also liked your ideas from the parenting conference.

Tonya said...

What a difference! He is so cute!

Chris and Virginia said...

What a drastic change and only in a few months. That's great, almost like a different child. Amazing what love and nourishing can do.

How much Russian had you learned before you traveled?