Saturday, August 01, 2009

The end of the nightlight saga

Thursday night, I woke up at 4 in the morning to very loud crying. Assuming it was Emily, I had the girls' door halfway open before I realized that the crying wasn't coming from their room. I hurried down to the boys room to find Zhenya standing in the middle of his room, crying. Once I got him calmed down enough that I could understand what he was saying, I figured out that apparently he had woken up and thought that the shadows in the wrinkles in his sheets were something in his bed. Once I showed him it was just his sheets, he was fine and went back to bed. As I left the room, I pulled out their nightlight.

The next morning, I pulled out the girls' nightlight too. We needed to return them anyway since they wouldn't turn off (they were supposed to automatically turn on and off) and I've decided if the kids are comfortable sleeping in the dark then we'll just go with that. The nightlights were for Mark and I, not them, anyway, so that we could see when we went in their rooms at night.

I found your comment interesting, BT. But I'm gauging their response more on how they go to sleep at night than what happens when the wake up in the middle of the night (since then they're usually disoriented and possibly scared). When the kids first came home, all of them had a hard time going to sleep at night. It was completely understandable, as they were in a new place with new people and everything was different. Now all of our kids go to sleep easily at night, without fuss, and fall asleep quickly, telling me that they feel safe and secure in their beds and knowing that we are here. (It's also still light here when they go to bed, so we'll see if anything changes when it's winter! :))

1 comment:

Jane said...

Ben has a night light and Maggies doesn't. They both sleep through the night just fine. Honestly, I don't know if they care one way or the other. Ben sleeps with his door closed & Maggie's is open, they alternate on this too. Ben has to protect his frog & his fish from the cats & he's really good about keeping the door closed all the time. You're right though, it's still light when they are going to be right now & Winter is definitely different