Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Sick mama

Sorry for the dearth of posts. I actually have one that's about ready to post but I just haven't been able to finish it up.

Saturday I started feeling achy and had a slight sore throat. The aches got worse over the weekend and I assumed I was coming down with the flu. I had miserable nights Saturday and Sunday even with Nyquil, so when I got up on Monday I took my temperature. I had a low-grade fever but still felt awful. I went into work for a few hours and then went home and slept until I picked the kids up from school.

Today I stayed home from work and went to the doctor. I have to feel really bad to go to the doctor, but I just couldn't take it anymore. The aches were doing better but my throat was killing me. I had looked at it in the mirror and it wasn't a pretty sight.

The doctor's office was able to get me in this morning. My best guess was either flu or strep but I didn't think it was flu since I hadn't had a high fever. The CNP said it's unusual for adults to get strep--they have to have pretty significant exposure.

The test came back positive for strep. I start antibiotics today. Hopefully I'll be feeling better within the next 24 hours. I'm certainly not sure I can feel much worse. Right now I'm just hoping none of the kids come down with it, although if they do at least it will be Christmas break and we'll all be at home together!

8 comments:

Thuy said...

Hope you feel better soon, Courtney! Let me know if you need anything or if we can help out with the kids! You need REST.

Diana said...

Your doc said what??? That is crazy! The only two times I've had strep in my life were as an adult. And this last round, yah, all 5 of us had strep at the same time. If anyone else starts with a sore throat, go have them tested for strep right away. The sooner you catch it, the quicker the recovery time. It's definately going around this year!

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Dawn said...

Hope you feel better soon!!

Jane said...

I hope you are feeling better now

Nan and Dan said...

I hope the drugs helped kick the worst of it. There is nothing worse than being momma when you are sick :(

Sarah Halter said...

Hope you feel better soon! It's no fun when mama's sick.

Tami said...

Awww...that stinks! Hope you're feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Get well soon =]