Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Ahh, the serenity...

This week is pretty quiet for us, other than the submission and my birthday, and getting new brakes on the car (the current ones have 120K miles on them!) and meeting with the architect tomorrow. :) Band and orchestra start up in the next couple of weeks. I was commenting to Mark last night that we should go swing dancing at Casa Loma on Friday nights (I meant occasionally, not every week). His reply: "Why, we don't have enough nights booked yet?" :) We're also joining a Crown Financial class** at church, as well as our normal life group so we do have quite a few nights booked.

We do like to stay busy. I think we'll be pretty busy as soon as we have this meeting with the architect. Once we get our plans finalized we can get our building permit and then the demolition really begins! I'm excited about the possibilities with the new house. I've already located a custom cabinet builder. Unfortunately, he happens to be located in Georgia, but his cabinetry is beautiful! Right, Tonya? ;) We don't currently have a budget per se for the house, but I think we're going to have to come up with one pretty soon because I could make this a very expensive house. Don't get me wrong--I'm not the only one. Mark's got his eyes on reproduction hardware and register covers. :) :) :) I'm anxious to get as much work done on the house as possible before we go to Ukraine. I'd like to have the interior ready to finish before we leave, i.e., all the walls will be drywalled, mudded, and taped, and plumbing and electrical finished. Walls painted would be even better, but that sounds awfully ambitious with the amount of work we have to do before then.

**I was googling Crown Financial ministries and came across some interesting comments on the web. It will be interesting to see what we think of this class. It's apparently pretty targeted towards people with a high debt load and trouble managing their finances. That, thankfully, is not something we struggle with, and not because we make lots of money. We have been tithing since we were married, and we are both frugal people so we tend to be fairly careful about the way we spend our money with lots of discussions, thought, and planning. I'll keep you posted on the class.

5 comments:

jimmy said...

...careful with those financial things. Crown Financial sounds like it would have high commission fees which can quickly chip away your profits. I've been purchasing stocks with Ameritrade for about 8 years and have been very happy with them. They offer other things besides stocks. The younger you start the quicker you accumulate - so good luck! If you want any more boring advice feel free to call or stop by K.C.

Unknown said...

Tithing is no longer commanded by God.

Please consider visiting www.nomoretithing.org . It lists about 24 books and 36 other web sites that all teach that we are free from the Law - including tithing.

George

Courtney said...

Jimmy: As far as I can tell, Crown Financial doesn't do any investing. They are an organization that helps people develop a Biblically-based (according to them) model for handling finances and assets. Don't worry--no pyramid schemes here. ;)

George: I actually don't tithe because it is required. Knowing me, if it was required I would be dead set against it, being the rebellious, head-strong woman I am (just ask my husband!). :) I tithe because it reminds me that everything I have comes from God. I cannot take pride in my salary, my job, my possessions, etc. I am to boast only of what God has done for me: first and foremost given me the gift of salvation through Jesus' death and resurrection, and second through the many blessings I have here on earth, not only possessions but family, friends, and the church body. I tithe because there are many things I cannot do (such as preach, or do long-term missions, or start churches) and I want to support those who do, through tithing as well as other giving. To me, the original purpose of the tithe still stands: to recognize that all that we have comes from God. Even though the Law is abolished (I am very thankful--I would flip out if we were slaughtering animals in church) the principles behind the establishment of the Law still stand. I choose to honor God and what he has given me by giving my "firstfruits" to him.

DeeAnn said...

I'm glad you like the cabinets. He really does a beautiful job and has great guys working for him. I'll ask him if he's interested, but he hasn't had good experiences with long distance when he worked for a different cabinet shop. I'll wait until he's relaxed on the weekend and I'll let you know. Here's my email. I'm always interested in what people are doing. rollinsfamily@nctv.com
Happy Birthday!

Tonya said...

Paul is great and he does great work too!:):):).

Crown finacial is a good organinzation. We have some of their books and my parents did one of their finance classes. The reason they are so big into debt reduction is because the majority of Americans are in it up to their eyeballs. Being reminded to be wise with your assets is wise whether you are in debt or not. I commend you for taking the class. And I agree with you on the tithing thing. We as Christians should tithe out of hearts of love for others and thankfulness to God for blessing us in so many ways we don't deserve.