Monday, February 11, 2008

Breakthroughs

It was an on-again, off-again throwing up weekend. So much fun. Or not. :)

It wasn't too bad, since Zhenya stopped throwing up Saturday morning. Then we only had one to deal with. Sunday was terrible with Dima and the throwing up and the not going to the bathroom to do it. He would throw up (wherever he happened to be) and just stand there and wait for someone to do something. Very frustrating. We worked through some of that on Sunday and had some great breakthroughs today. Dima woke up at 8:30 and pretty much threw up from then until noon. BUT...he did not throw up on himself once(!) and by the end was saying "mama, toilet" and going to the bathroom by himself to throw up. He still goes toward the bathroom slowly, so we're definitely going to have some things to work on if he ever gets the flu, but it was great progress. Even better...

This morning, when Dima would go to the bathroom to throw up he got lots of positive reinforcement. Once early in the morning, he had said he was done but I wanted him to wait in the bathroom to make sure. Our bathroom's pretty small, so I sit on the edge of the tub while the boys are throwing up. I pulled him into my lap to wait for a few minutes and he sat there, stiff as a board. The next time, I pulled him into my lap and pulled him up against my chest. It took a few minutes but he finally relaxed into me, although he wouldn't make eye contact. Then the next time, he wrapped one arm around behind me and snuggled up against me, and every once in a while would turn around to look up at me. Huge steps in bonding and attachment for him!! It makes the puking worthwhile...I think. :)

And we're done with the medicine. Woohoo!!

5 comments:

Tami said...

What a horrible thing to go through, but what a great reward at the end...for both of you! :) I'm glad your done with the medicine...how awful! (I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and sending up a million prayers that Maddie won't have to go through the same thing. Her appointment is tomorrow)

Julie said...

Who'd-a-thought that throw up time could turn into such a beautiful loving memory.

Just so you know, there are times when my husband can't make it to the toilet when he's sick. I don't think it's because he was never taught. Sometimes a person just can't move or function well when they're sick.

Anonymous said...

Puking stinks - literally, but post puke cuddles make it worth it!

musicmommy3 said...

When our kids are sick they are expected to carry a barf pail/bowl around with them EVERYWHERE they go during the day and set it next to them while they are sleeping. That eliminates those "couldn't get to the bathroom" messes. Well most of them. I have one child who pukes a lot while sleeping. sigh.

Glad to hear that you were able to bond. So good.

Zack, Jenn and William said...

Glad the meds are finished. And great news on the attachment! So glad things are going well for you guys.