Thursday, February 07, 2008

Social security update

We received the boys' social security cards a few days ago. On the advice of another adoptive mom, I called to check on the boys' status. Apparently even though they are supposed to be registered as US citizens with the documentation we took, often they are registered as resident aliens instead. Sure enough, the boys were listed as resident aliens. To fix their status, we need to take in their certificates of citizenship. No problem, since those also arrived a few days ago...with our last name spelled wrong! Yes, no joke, the people who are responsible for checking all of the documentation of every person that comes in the country spelled our last name wrong for both of the boys. Sigh.

I'm going to try taking in their CoCs with the wrong name to the SS office just to see if I can get that part finished up. If that doesn't work, I need to make sure that I can file our taxes with their SSNs even with the status wrong. Either way, I have to send their CoCs back and wait for the new ones to arrive before we can apply for US passports. Not a big deal--we're not planning on leaving the country anytime soon ;), it would just be nice to go ahead and get those and get everything out of the way.

6 comments:

junglemama said...

Ugh! I'm sorry for the mistake.

Jane said...

Ben's US birth certificate has me listed as born in Oklahoma, I guess Sam's UK looked like OK to them!!!!

Tami said...

Ugh! Thanks for the heads up. I need to check on the other three as well. I had forgotten about the resident alien thing. (It sounds like they're from Mars or something! :)

Sarah Halter said...

So does that mean that Mark is the only in the family who hasn't had your last name misspelled on an important official document!?

Diana said...

My name was misspelled on our marriage certificate. I told my husband it looks like he really did marry "the other woman" afterall. There was no other woman. That's just who we told everyone I was when they'd ask stupid questions like "Oh, is this your fiance?" "No. This is the other woman."

Hopefully you can get it all straightened out. Your post prompted me to quickly check my boys status again. If they can't use the SS#, you can obtain an ATIN (temporary id number) from the IRS. Check out irs.gov for more info.

adoptedthree said...

Yes you can file your taxes with the children listed as resident aliens. They ARE citizens but it is just a social security thing. Not a big deal until they begin to work.

Oksana is still a resident alien, because I never took her COC to them nor have I gotten a passport yet.