Friday, February 08, 2008

I like it better when they're not throwing up

Yesterday the boys started some medicine to treat giardia. One of their stool samples came back positive even though we hadn't seen any symptoms, and their pediatrician decided to go ahead and treat both of them (don't worry, it's only contagious by coming into contact with infected feces for those of you who've been around us lately). Unfortunately, one of the side effects of the medicine is nausea and vomiting. They started the meds yesterday, and Zhenya woke up in the middle of the night crying. Nothing seemed to be wrong and he didn't want to go to the bathroom, so I comforted him and he went back to sleep. While I was in there, I thought I heard Dima gagging, but when I left the room he was asleep and had his comforter pulled up around him so I didn't disturb him. Flash forward to this morning...Zhenya woke up crying again and Dima had thrown up all over himself at some point in the night. This morning was a few hours of puking and teaching the boys to go to the bathroom to throw up. I'm still not sure Dima gets it--the last time he threw up he pointed at the bathroom, didn't move, and threw up into his hands as I was running him to the bathroom. Sigh. Dima's gone through a lot of clothes today.

After a few hours everyone seemed to be okay. We had breakfast and lunch but I've been letting the boys eat as much or little as they like. After lunch we hung out for awhile to make sure no one was going to get sick, then headed to the playground. On the way home (about a 5 minute drive), Zhenya fell asleep in the car. I'm guessing he didn't sleep very well last night. He was complaining about his stomach a few minutes ago but is now curled up on my lap, asleep. I'm guessing we're not through with the puking yet. I'm hoping after the first 24 hours or so that the medicine won't make them so sick. The good news is that it's only a 5-day treatment, so today we're 2/5 done. :) And at least we're getting the chance to teach them to go to the bathroom to throw up before we get any stomach flu.

2 comments:

Tami said...

Welcome to motherhood! The first time I REALLY felt like a mom and not just a glorified babysitter was the first time Q-ball threw up on me. ;)
Just think of it as being christened! ;)

adoptedthree said...

We have treated giardia a few times but the meds didnt make them throw up. I wonder what they are giving them that is so strong, there must be a better option!

Poor little guys!