Friday, February 12, 2010

I hope she's always this insightful

School really wears Danielle out and by the end of the week she's pretty much done. On Thursdays they always have homework due on Friday...find 3 pictures that start with the letter for the next week, glue them on the page, and write the words. Yesterday was the letter "V". Since Danielle's English vocabulary is still pretty limited it's hard for her to understand "find a picture that starts with the letter..." so I usually cut out several pictures for her that start with the appropriate letter. We go through them to work on vocabulary then she picks which ones she wants to use for her homework. She glues them on and then we use hand-over-hand so I can help her write her words. (If I let her write "vegetables" by herself it would cover the page!)

She had finished gluing and writing the words yesterday and needed to write her name on the bottom. She can't spell her name independently yet but she does know how to write the letters of her name, so I told her to write a letter "D".

Complete meltdown.

You would have thought I'd asked her to write out the Constitution. :)

She cried and cried, said "Mama, heellppp" (but didn't want to listen when I tried to help verbally), and just kind of made a mess of herself. She wasn't being loud or throwing a tantrum so I just let her cry it out. At one point I turned to her and said "Are you all done crying?" to which she replied while crying

"IIII neeed uhhhh NAAAPPPP...."

Truer words have never been spoken.

But it wasn't an option since it was 4:30 and we were waiting for Alex and Emily to finish speech. So once she had calmed back down and stopped crying I handed her back her pencil and she wrote a D. Then an a, n, i, E, l, l, E.

And she was fine the rest of the day.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

haha, that was cute. It's always good to be so self-aware!

Missy said...

Bless her heart!! Sometimes you just need a stress reliever.

Tonya said...

Me too, Danielle. :)

Tami said...

Poor little thing! Don't we all have days like that? I know I've had several lately, but I'm so proud of her for settling herself down and finishing the job. That's awesome!!! :)