Saturday, March 05, 2011

Picture post

My luggage. Contained within were the following: four pairs pants, 5 pairs socks and underwear, four shirts, two sweaters, two winter coats, two hats, two pairs mittens, two pairs shoes, two pairs pajamas, two stuffed animals, two notebooks, 24-pack crayons, one puzzle pairs set, one book, one photo album (all of the previous for the girls); dossier documents, netbook, sudoku book, camera, charger and adapters, two cell phones (one US, one UA), notebook, money belt, travel kleenex, 5 granola bars, sleep mask, one sweater, one pair thermal tights, one long underwear top, 5 pairs underwear, 5 pairs socks, slippers, pajamas, toiletries, pocket Russian dictionary/phrase books, comb. Now you have a packing list. ;)

An Amstor in Mariupol.

An Amstor in Donetsk.

I've tried to explain to people that Ukrainians have a love affair with mayonnaise. Why do you think I like it here so much? This is a billboard for lemon mayonnaise. :) They have whole aisles in the supermarket just for mayonnaise, and that's not an exaggeration!

Leaving the orphanage and driving to Donetsk for passports, with Sasha (our regional facilitator--she's awesome!)

Mad at me because I wouldn't take her seatbelt off. I know she looks worried here, but she spent most of the drive scowling at me. :)

Their first bubble bath. They were enthralled with the bubbles!

Three Reece's Rainbow angels who are orphans no more! "Darla", "Sophie", and "Candace"

9 comments:

MoserUpdates said...

I love the picture of the "glare". So cute! Glad things are starting to go a little better. I would definitely be grumpy without toilet paper, too!

Mel said...

YAY!!!! I loved that place!! We ate there several times while we were there. hehe

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all of the pictures. But I have to admit the one with Julia's stuff about made me cry. I hope eveything else goes easier for the rest of your trip. We all miss you back at work. I recognize those sweaters ;)
Erin

Courtney said...

Erin, you would recognize ALL of the girls' clothes if you could see them. I think everything I brought for them (shirts and pants) was from you! :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah for pictures! The two them giggling in the bubble bath is so adorable.

And thanks for the packing list. I'll take it from you because you are officially a PRO ;)

Courtney said...

Anon, I probably could have gone with just one pair of pants each for the girls, because when I've washed their pants and tights they are dry by the next morning. But I was a little afraid of accidents and not having anything else for them to wear. Better safe than sorry! And I definitely didn't need all of the socks I brought for them--they've only worn the tights everyday, no socks at all. Modifications to the packing list for next time. ;)

kecia said...

Love seeing former RR pictures! So cute!

Rochelle said...

Oh my goodness that scowl is priceless! LOVE that last pic of the orphans no more.

Hope Mark finally arrived! Praying for you guys.

Bobbie said...

Love the photos!!! And "orphans no more" just gives me goosebumps!