Sunday, November 25, 2007

Giving thanks

It was a bit of a busy week/weekend as we left on Wednesday to head to Denver. One of our dogs is staying with Mark's parents while we're gone so Thanksgiving was the perfect opportunity to take her out there. We usually don't travel for Thanksgiving--it's such a short holiday--but we made an exception this year, and managed to fit a lot into the weekend!

Wednesday night we stopped off at my sister's apartment in KC where we spent the night. She actually wasn't even there but let us crash on our way through--thanks, sis! We arrived in Denver Thursday afternoon after neverending Kansas. Kansas' motto right now is "As big as you think." Correction--it is about 2 hours of driving longer than I think, and would like. Please make the state smaller. Thanks.

Denver was wonderful and we got to see all of Mark's immediate family and a few extras as well. :) We ate way too much food, of course. Mark's family went in on a gift card to Target for us, and we made short order of it by going shopping the day after Thanksgiving. I don't know if I've ever been shopping on Black Friday, but it really wasn't too bad. Of course, we didn't go anywhere near a mall and that probably helped. We left Denver early Saturday morning to make it to Topeka for a wedding reception for a friend of ours. Wonderful food and so great to see her and her new hubby--congrats K&K, you've been waiting a long time for this! We stayed in Topeka Saturday night and met up with my sister for lunch today in KC. Since we had some time this morning, we visited the Target and Walmart across the street from our hotel and picked up a few other items. However, it should be noted that I am not a morning person. That's an understatement to most people who know me. Consequently, two of the items I bought this morning have to be returned because I got completely the wrong size.

We made it home tonight and started the frantic late-night scramble that I think will characterize every night this week. :) We're still clearing out the kids' room (it's currently a disaster area with Ukraine-bound stuff everywhere) and I've decided I want to rearrange the living room furniture. This is called doing the important stuff, right? ;)

6 comments:

Katie said...

I'm thinking of you both so often these days - I can't imagine the emotions & preparations you're going through for this trip! God has been so glorified by your journey to this point - I'm so EXCITED for you to meet your children!!!

Tami said...

WHAT?!! You were in Kansas and you didn't even stop to say hello?
The problem with driving across Kansas is that you took I-70 - the most boring stretch of highway known to man. It's only rival is I-80 across Nebraska. The key is to take the smaller highways, like Hwy 36 for example, which would take you right by my house! :)
Oh well, I guess I'm willing to travel halfway around the world to meet you! :) Five days and we'll be on our way! Woohoo!!!

Julie said...

I'm glad you had a fun filled weekend and were able to visit family and friends before you go to Ukraine.

Scramble... important stuff? You betcha'! You're still nesting :)

Anonymous said...

ahhhhhh!!!!!!! One week, girlie! I'm sooooo excited for you and Mark. I am praying, praying, praying! Much love, Beth Phil 4:8

Kevin and Krista said...

Less than a week? Can you even sleep at night? I am so excited for you.

Praying for you and following your journey from North Carolina, Krista :)

Nataliya said...

What a wonderful time you had this weekend! And yes, rearranging the living room furniture is definitely the important stuff! Can't wait to follow your journey!