Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My baby was sick

This weekend, Dima came down with a 104.5F fever. Mark was out of town, so I treated him with some Tylenol which only brought it down a degree. A little later I gave him some ibuprofen and that knocked the fever out. I fully expected him to wake up the next day with his fever spiked back up, but he's stayed fever-free since then. No diarrhea, no vomiting, no rash...what on earth can cause a child to spike a fever that high that just goes away within 24 hours??

I'm not fond of medicating children, but a fever over 104F is too high for my comfort. I wanted to get him under 102F if possible. He did great although he HATES the children's medicines--they're way too sweet for him. He didn't like the Tylenol, and then he really didn't like the ibuprofen. :) But he took them with a little bribing of getting to drink from the "frog cup". The frog cup is a cup that Mark and I received as a wedding present in reference to our TCU Horned Frogs. It's a plastic cup and it has three green frogs encased in the bottom that float on a green gel. I use it to hold the boys' toothbrushes and toothpaste, and they love to spin the frog cup and watch the frogs spin. So I bribed Dima with allowing him to drink from the frog cup if he took his medicine. ;) Worked like a charm. :) :) With plenty of fluids and rest, he was as good as new the next day and you would never have known he'd had a high fever the day before.

It was a great experience for both of us, as I don't know how often he's had someone take care of him when he's been sick before. I think he initially thought it was a little weird, but he soon learned to enjoy it. ;) It was funny watching him, because he had less energy than usual but he didn't want to be in bed. So he sat on the couch and spent his time tattling on Zhenya anytime he saw Zhenya do something he thought was wrong. He didn't have enough energy to play, but he had enough energy to try to get his little brother in trouble!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watch him. If he gets a rash on his body a day or so after the fever it might be roseola. (Not sure about spelling.) Sydney had a high fever last friday and on Sunday got a rash. Once the rash appears they aren't contagious. Adults can be "carriers" and pass it on to kids that haven't had it. Shelby got it a few years ago because the art teacher's daughter had it and I had lunch with the art teacher and passed it on to Shelby about two days later. Just push some extra fluids to keep the body hydrated. :)

ArtworkByRuth said...

I love the frog cup! We have the Kitty teapot that only comes out when the kids are sick!