Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Sometimes my children baffle me

On Monday Emily came home from preschool after a really good day there. But once she got home, as soon as I was out of sight (in another room) she would start wailing and crying uncontrollably. I couldn't figure out what was wrong or what to do with her. I finally ended up laying her down for a few minutes. Unfortunately she fell asleep...since it was 4:30 I didn't really want her taking a nap so I had to wake her up.

You can imagine how well that went over. :) :)

So she went to bed--pajamas and all--at 5pm, was asleep by 5:30, and slept until 6:45am the next morning. I was worried that she might be coming down with something, but she seems to have been fine every day since then. Apparently our weekend just wore her out!

We've been struggling with Tim to get him to memorize his Bible verse for school. Every week they learn a new Bible verse, and since it's the only "homework" they really have in kindergarten we've been strongly encouraging him to work on his Bible verse. This week he knew his Bible verse--reference and all--by Tuesday afternoon! I picked him up from school and he said "Mama! Mama! I know my Bible verse! 'God is love.' 1 John 4:8. You didn't help me!" with lots of dancing around. So funny, and he is so proud of himself. I'm hoping we can encourage at least one of our children that it's easier to do your work than to fight over it.

Alex has had an interesting week. His teacher has been out for a funeral. That has not helped the "getting work done" problem, but I realized yesterday that he has not flipped out over having a substitute teacher. This is huge for him! He does know his sub, but last year that didn't even matter. Last year if he had a sub we saw the consequences at home as well as him having problems at school. This year? No big deal. Yay!

I find joy in every single bit of progress he makes (in part because it keeps me from going crazy over the schoolwork issue ;))! And he continues making lots of progress! :)

1 comment:

ArtworkByRuth said...

Definite progress! I can so relate to Emily. Whenever I was stressed growing up I just could not keep awake! And there are times all of us should go right to bed and sleep till the morning because we just need it!