Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Morning

I've been awake and up since 5am, which for me is the middle of the night. ;)

Radiology came in and did an x-ray at 5 (to check breathing tube placement?) and I've been up since then. That's not bad. I got about six hours of sleep, an hour at a time. :) Emily is doing well. She's had a couple of coughing episodes but no vomiting. She's still completely sedated but they're running her spontaneous breathing trial (SBT) for two hours which means they've minimized the ventilator settings to see if she can breathe on her own. The vent is still supporting her lungs but is not breathing for her. So far she's doing great. Even if she passes it doesn't mean she will be extubated (have the breathing tube removed) because she still has a lot of swelling and secretions from her mouth. Rounds aren't for another hour so I won't know anything until then. Em's managed to pee around her catheter (which explains her low urine output) so her nurse and I changed her bed linens a little while ago. The nurses here have been great about letting me help. I really dislike just sitting around when I can be doing something.

I think the above paragraph doesn't sound very coherent. I'm even drinking coffee and I'm groggy. This is why I don't do mornings. ;)

No comments: