Friday, January 03, 2014

Next surgery

Emily's next surgery is scheduled for Monday, January 20. Although the initial plan after the last surgery was to wait a few months to do another one--to allow her mouth to heal--the surgeon was pretty discouraged at how much tissue has completely degraded and saw no reason to wait a few months for this surgery. There's not any tissue left to heal so no reason to wait.

She's got two and a half weeks of eating food (you should have heard her rejoicing!) and brushing her teeth (thank you, God) before we're back to a liquid diet for three weeks. The plan is a tongue flap this time (highly unlikely that will change) and she will probably be admitted to the ICU after surgery and kept sedated until the tongue swelling goes down and there is no concern for her airway. That could change depending on much swelling she has during the surgery, but we have been told to anticipate an ICU admission.

She was thrilled to eat dinner tonight and even got to eat the Christmas cake I froze for her!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for all of you. These surgeries and slow roads to healing are hard to watch our children go through. I used to wonder why God would ask me to do this with my kids and he reminded me that as disabled orphans they would have had their disabilities with or without me. The joy of being their parent is walking along side them the path God has for them. They don't go it alone!
Hang in there mom!

Thuy said...

Oh, Courtney, I'm so sorry that I'm just now getting caught up on what's been going on with Emily and her surgeries! What a bummer that she has to have another one. (But yay for being able to eat Christmas cake! You're such a good mama!) I'm off on Jan 20th (except for the evening) bc it's the MLK holiday. Will you let me know if you need anything that morning/day/afternoon? Thinking of you all and praying that everything goes well for Emily on the 20th. I love you guys!

Thuy said...

Um...I meant, if you need anything, not just on the 20th, but after her surgery, too, since you're expecting an ICU admission. Let me know if you need food, for me to watch the kids one night, etc!