Monday, December 17, 2007

It wouldn't be a Ukraine adoption without a hitch

We arrived at the orphanage today a little later than usual and went to check and see who was in the little room. We were pretty sure the Italian family was back there and possibly the other American family, so with us it would have made 7 adults and 4 children in a very small room. We thought we would take the boys into the playroom again if that was the case. We ran into Kevin and Melissa in the hall and she asked if we had seen the boys. Apparently something had happened when they arrived but she didn't want to talk about it, just told us to go see the boys--that they were together in Alexander's groupa's room--and to talk to her before we left today. Puzzled, we headed for Alexander's room...and walked into Alexander and Timothy with their mother, father, grandmother and two caretakers. Yeah--it was a blow to the gut to say the least, especially with court tomorrow. We ended up in the director's office, who is still in support of us adopting the boys. After a bit and some details I won't share, we were taken to Timothy's room and the boys were brought to us. We spent about 40 minutes with them, and it went really well. We had a lot of space and toys in the room we were in and we got to watch both of them in some imaginative play which was great.

So, where are things now? Well, the SDA didn't get our paperwork complete for court tomorrow. So Vanya is in Kyiv waiting for the paperwork which we have been promised will be signed by 9am tomorrow (Tuesday). Vanya will fax the paperwork to the orphanage. At 9:30am tomorrow morning we will be at the orphanage to pick up the fax and meet with the boys' grandmother. The judge has agreed to have court with the faxed document provided we do not pick up the boys until after he has the original (not a problem as the original will be here by Wednesday). Lots to pray for. :)

We're in good spirits and trusting in God for guidance with all of this. Thanks for all of the comments, suggestions, and prayers!

8 comments:

Kathy and Matt said...

Mark and Courtney,
What a shock! I'm glad you were able to spend some time with the boys after seeing them with the mother, father and grandmother.
Your post sounds fairly upbeat, so I hope things work out as you meet with the grandmoather and head for court tomorrow.

We are praying for you!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say other than I am praying.

Leslie said...

Whoa! Didn't see that coming! Praying for the way to be made smooth for you guys and continued bonding with the boys.

Debora Hoffmann said...

Mark and Courtney, I will be praying for you! I'm shocked to hear of the boys' relatives visiting...but I'm encouraged by the tone of your post. I am eager to see what happens; I've checked your blog every day. I'll lift you up before the Lord tonight!

Tonya said...

Wow:). What a day you had! I'm glad everything is working out. We had paperwork/court issues too, but they all got resolved just fine. I'll be praying for you tomorrow!

It sounds like ya'll are having fun. Snowball fights and card games... you won't want to come home:):):).

Hugs!
T

Anonymous said...

I am so confused. And, well... confused. I don't really even know what to pray, except as I have been praying: that God is glorified, that your hearts are protected, that the boys come to know Jesus, that His will be done on earth as it is in heaven. I am so ignorant and don't have a clear perception about what the ramifications of all this could be, and yet I recognize that how I feel or what I perceive is of very little consequence. I am just a bystander, just a far-off friend. Even so, there is an element of fear that creeps into my soul and makes me think that you must be feeling and fearing and questioning so much more. Your faith is a blessing to each of us who is so very blessed to witness your journey. God be with you and keep you, my friends. And may he hourly lavish you with the peace that He is your Abba.

Be gracious to me, God be gracious to me,
for I take refuge in you.
I will seek refuge in the shadow of Your wings until danger passes.
I call to God Most High,
to God who fulfills His purpose for me.
He reaches down from heaven and saves me,
challenging the one who tramples me.

Psalm 57:1-3

Anonymous said...

Wow! Not what I expected to hear. Lots of prayers coming your way for guidance and smooth days ahead. You sound upbeat and that's a great thing. Hugs for you both! Happy late B-day Mark!

junglemama said...

Wow! Hope court goes well tomorrow! If the family is still involved, I would be concerned about the boys later thinking that you took them away from their family. I'm probably totally out of line since I haven't read your past posts but I just know that our one daughter has a sister who she felt bad leaving until we finally got a letter from her. Just something to think about.

God Bless.