Monday, September 22, 2008

The rest of the weekend

Emphasis on "rest." ;)

Because of how tired they've been, and the fact that we kept them out late Friday night, I opted not to take the boys to Mark's base ball game on Saturday. It was about an hour away and we wouldn't have been able to just run home if we'd needed to, so I felt it was better to take it easy at home and recuperate for the next week of school. We played and hung out and just had fun at home, but after lunch I really thought it would be good for the boys to have a little quiet time to unwind. I really didn't intend for them to sleep, so I thought instead of doing an actual rest time I would put an audiobook on the stereo and they could lay on their beds and listen. Ahem.

I'm not sure they made it past the title.

They were asleep in minutes and I was really glad we'd had our little quiet time because obviously they needed it. :) They got up a little later and we had a pretty good evening. Sunday was pretty much more of the same, and we did story time again. I think they made it past the title but definitely not past the first chapter. Sunday evening they "helped" unload some wood Mark had picked up for the other house. These were 10' boards, and the boys each got an end and carried it into the house. I'm very thankful we don't have anything to break in there right now--it was quite the comedy to watch them carry the boards up the steps and try to maneuver it into the house. They're not acquainted with the concept of working with a person on the other end of a 10' board, so it took them a little while to understand that they had to WORK TOGETHER to get the board inside. It was hilarious, and they had a great time. They did say it was "a lot of work", so I'm a little concerned as to what they're going to think when we have them start helping with the framing. LOL

Sunday night Dima had to finish some homework. I cannot even begin to express how much I was dreading this. It was writing, and he struggles with this big time. We had spent quite a bit of time on this worksheet already and had NOT had a good time of it. We have a clear dry erase Crayola board that I can slide the worksheets into and he can practice before he writes with the pencil, which is really nice since I'm no longer erasing holes into his paper. This particular paper was writing the lower-case vowels. We had worked on it on Thursday, and the "u" had NOT gone well. So when we went back to it last night, I had him start with all of the other vowels that I know he can do and which are similar--"o", then "a", then "e" (he'd already finished the "i"). We had minimal erasing, which was super exciting, but I was still dreading the "u".

He did it. Three of them. All by himself, and nearly perfect. I--literally--just stared at him with my mouth open. And then showered him with lots of praise. LOL I don't know if all of the extra rest helped this weekend or what, but for him to be able to write that well at the end of the day was amazing. I'm hoping it carries over into this week. ;)

2 comments:

ArtworkByRuth said...

YEA DIMA!
Getting back into the school routine has been tiring for all my kids too. Plus I think we are ready for another growth spurt or two...

Thuy said...

Amen for small but significant victories!!! The "U" is really important in my name, so I'm glad he got that one down. :)