Monday, September 15, 2008

"I don't like you"

The other day I was in the kitchen fixing dinner, and Zhenya was in talking to me. All of sudden, he turned around, pointed at me, and said "I don't like you."

I must confess, my heart leapt into my throat and then sunk into my stomach, but I kept my composure and said "oh really, why?" And then it occurred to me that we've had a small problem lately with the word "don't", and for some reason when he says "I want" something, it comes out sounding like "I don't want" something. So I asked him "Do you like me or no?" and he said "I like you" and gave me a big hug. Whew.

It was a little startling to be told by your child that you've had for 8 months that he doesn't like you. :) I was expecting it a few years down the road, but not this soon. I was glad it was just a miscommunication.

2 comments:

ArtworkByRuth said...

It is odd to have them speak so fluently and yet so out of context sometimes! Glad you are liked! My little guy only accuses me of not liking him when he is mad...I hope I will have composure when he decides he doesn't like me...:(

Thuy said...

'Whew' is right! That first paragraph there was so sad! - But it ended well, so YEA for that! Such a cute story!