Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I have knots in my stomach

I am a lot more nervous about this adoption than the last one. Either that, or I've forgotten what it felt like the first time around (it did take awhile...). We have our last homestudy visit today, and I'm downright near panicked. Which for me means I'm sitting here biting my fingernails (at least if I'm typing I'm using both hands and not biting my fingernails). I'm a pretty low-key person, so my version of panicking probably looks like most people's idea of watching something interesting on TV. ;)

You'd think it would be easier the second time around. Our social worker most likely hit the nail on the head when she said "well, you adopted from Ukraine last time, so everything's going to seem like a piece of cake and you're always going to be feeling like you're forgetting something this time." Indeed. What do you mean I don't need documents dated within the last month? Any certified marriage certificate will do? Really? You mean once they're certified they're good forever? (Not in Ukraine, by the way.)

This is just a completely different experience, and we're not really into the thick of it yet. But I do have a feeling that I'm going to be feeling like I'm missing out on a lot. For a brief period we thought we might not even need to redo our medicals! Yeah, I nearly passed out too! But then we found out that they do need to be done within the last year (it's within 2 years for the homestudy) so we just missed it--our medicals were done last July. But if I'm getting everything correctly, these medicals are not nearly as involved. Hence why I keep thinking I must be missing something. :) International adoption dossiers can't really be this straightforward, can they?

And yes, you can guarantee that we're going to have a bear of a time putting our dossier together after I post that last sentence.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm bitter about our Ukraine adoption, because I'm not at all. I enjoyed the experience and I certainly learned a lot from it. But they definitely don't make it easy to put that dossier together correctly...for the third--or fourth...or fifth--time.

6 comments:

Tami said...

I felt the same way when we changed countries. While the process was similar, enough of it was different to make it a little nerve-wracking. Looking back on it, I know I could have handled doing the whole thing with just a facilitator instead of an agency, but the butterflies in my stomach made me take the easy way out. (As if there is anything easy about a Ukranian adoption.) I'm still on pins and needles waiting to hear what country you're going to. Pins. and. needles...ooh, that brings back memories of the medical. Sorry.

Tonya said...

Did you already spill the beans on what country you are going to this time because I am DYING of curiosity over here!!!!

Tonya said...

Oh, and BTW, I'm glad that this experience will be easier. What a nice thought!:) UA is certainly the best place to go first because it almost can't get any more difficult.

Courtney said...

No, I haven't spilled the beans yet. :) Got to keep you guys in suspense...

Ashley said...

Congrats on adopting again! I am so behind on blogs. I am trying to catch up so I am just now finding out that you are adopting! YAY! I am so happy for you! I am going to try and do better with my blogging. I am reading blogs right now while everyone is asleep, but I really need to sleep, too. I will go soon after I catch up a little more...lol

Shea said...

I bet you can not wait until your dossier is done! I am still afraid they are going to find something wrong with mine lol
!