Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Flashback

I've started having flashbacks to our time in Ukraine. I don't mean I'm remembering it--I mean I'll be somewhere and something will happen and I'll feel like I'm back in Ukraine again. It's quite a bizarre feeling, although not unpleasant.

I happen to know what some of the triggers are...one day I heard some music that sounded very similar to the Ukrainian discotheque music we listened to every day on the taxi ride to the boys' orphanage. It was about an hour and a half ride each way (which is why we only went once a day) so we listened to A LOT of music. LOL

The biggest trigger has been the weather. It's finally gotten colder here, and I've pulled out my winter coat--the same one I bought for Ukraine and wore every day while we were there. I'll soon be wearing my winter boots that I bought in Ukraine. It's just a little bizarre--like part of me is still there. Of course, I felt this way after the first time we went to Ukraine in 2003. I missed it so much and wanted to go back, but I don't remember having flashbacks.

It makes me wonder if the boys ever have flashbacks. They were there a lot longer than Mark and I--are there things here that trigger memories for them? Is that why so many parents report seeing a change in behavior around the one-year anniversary mark? (We haven't yet, but we've still got a month and a half.)

In the meantime, I'm enjoying my flashbacks and thinking I need to go make some borscht. ;)

7 comments:

Diana said...

We've done this a lot, too. For us it seems to come around the times of celebrating siginifcant events. We, too miss it (well, most of it, anyway). Ukraine will always be a part of our hearts.

I KNOW our kids flash back to Ukraine. Unfortunately, their flashbacks aren't usually positive ones and it's really hard on them when we talk abour remembering the good stuff.

Diana said...

We've done this a lot, too. For us it seems to come around the times of celebrating siginifcant events. We, too miss it (well, most of it, anyway). Ukraine will always be a part of our hearts.

I KNOW our kids flash back to Ukraine. Unfortunately, their flashbacks aren't usually positive ones and it's really hard on them when we talk abour remembering the good stuff.

Tonya said...

Oh GOSH! Me too! The WEATHER today totally put Ukraine in my mind! I walked outside to a grey, dreary sky. The air was chilly and dampish and I said "feels like Ukraine". Weird. It must be the time of year.

Julie said...

Are the behavior changes at the 1 yr. mark positive changes?

Funny, I've never been to Ukraine... but the other day I thought of Ukraine. My son looks Ukrainian when he wears his winter hat and I began to tear up the other day thinking about the orphans and homeless children.

Interesting how God uses our hearts and minds together.

adoptedthree said...

Sometimes the air smells like Ukraine and it is so weird. Also when it is damp and rainy and dull it puts me right back there in November 2000.

Courtney said...

Julie, usually it's a subtle behavior change--they tend to get sad or more clingy. Some kids act out...I think it may depend on the age of the child. I'm interested to see what our boys do, if anything.

Arizona mom to eight said...

We were in Ukraine this time last year, and I am writing about it in our daughters blog, all of the reminiscing has me longing to return and see the road I walked daily for 40 days.

It was not always a good time either, but I found Ukraine has stayed with me and now feels like part of me.

Kris
RR

Adopted Kara from Vorzel Ukraine November 2007