Monday, November 17, 2008

Following the boxes

Zhenya's class at school also did a shoebox for Operation Christmas Child and had a little packing party (all 9 kids in the class) to celebrate sending this box to a little girl. At dinner on Friday, Zhenya asked me where she is--the little girl who will receive the box. I said I didn't know and he said "we need to found her." I explained to him that we didn't know where she lived, so he decided he would go with Mrs. H (his teacher) to give the girl the box so he would know where she lived. So cute.

But it did open up another opportunity to talk about the boxes, so I put together one of the boxes from church (folded it up to make a shoebox) and then showed the boys one of the videos showing children receiving the shoeboxes. They were able to make the connection between the box sitting on our coffee table and the exact same boxes that they could see children opening in the video. Both boys noted how happy the children were to be getting the boxes, and we talked about how excited they were to be getting presents.

On Saturday, we went shopping for our shoebox items. Mark and I did all of the deciding as to what went into the boxes. We didn't even ask the boys for their opinion more because they didn't have any clue as to what would fit in the box or be appropriate. But the boys did go with us and we talked about the things we were buying that would go into the boxes for some other little boys and girls--and we left it at that.

Mark and I packed the boxes Saturday night after the boys were in bed. The boys were very happy and proud to be carrying their boxes into church on Sunday, but I think that was more related to being able to help carry them than anything actually associated with the shoeboxes. ;)

Next year, this will all be familiar, and perhaps they will be able to understand a little bit more about what is happening. But for now, I'm very happy with the way it turned out. Thanks for all of your thoughts and opinions!

4 comments:

his wife, their mama said...

It sound like everything went over well with the boys. Enough curiosity/understanding on their end to know it's for someone else, but doesn't sound like too much confusion. I'd say that's a pretty good response from them seeing as how this is the first time it's been introduced to them. I think it's awesome you had a video to show them and wish I did too. Maybe I can find something on the internet.
We, too, are going to be doing a shoebox, for a little girl, and I am anxious to see how Ivie will respond. I certainly don't expect anything from Elly. About once every couple of months Ivie and I sort through her toys to and pick ones that she doesn't love anymore to send to little girls that don't have any toys, so I know she has some understanding about giving to others, but we have never shopped or packaged or wrapped gifts for someone we don't know.
I miss you and am looking forward to seeing you too!

Tami said...

Sounds like it all worked out beautifully! :)

Courtney said...

M, I found the videos at the Samaritan's Purse website for Operation Christmas Child. I opted for the 5 minute one, but in hindsight I would choose a shorter one. They weren't too interested in seeing the same thing over and over again for 5 minutes. ;)

orange1986 said...

Hi I sawyour post on the Reeces Rainbow yahoo site, and I just want to say that I am so happy that you are adopting Eve and Dana.I have been praying for them to find a family who would adopt them together.