Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Moving on

We have confirmation that another family is adopting the two little girls we were hoping to adopt. They are 4 yo twins located in Estonia and we found them through Reece's Rainbow (as many of you already know since our name was linked to them!).

I have to confess that my heart is a little heavier than I anticipated over this. But at the same time I am very glad they will have a family. They've been in the orphanage basically since birth and it's high time they get a home and family to love them and care for them. Losing an adoption referral (even though we never actually had it) is not unlike a miscarriage to me. This is the third time we have had a potential adoption fall through over the past 5 years, and it's painful every time. Before I get any nasty comments, yes, I've experienced miscarriage too. In both cases you start to look towards the future, towards what might be changing in your life, and then all of those musings and hopings are gone in an instant.

So where do we go from here? Not sure, but I'll do my best to keep you posted (still waiting on news on the house ;)).

10 comments:

Diana said...

I'm sorry to hear things didn't work out for you on this one. Unfortunately, I've also BTDT more times than I care to recount. We have a cemetary full of our dead babies - except it exists only in our hearts. But the impact isn't any less real. You are right - it is VERY much like a miscarriage and it takes time and greiving to heal. In some cases, I think it is harder than a miscarriage. Miscarriage is something that most people at least sort of get because many women have experienced it. That means they are there to support you throug it. But with failed adoptions, most people don't get it. "They were never yours to begin with, so what's the big deal?" "Well, tell my heart they weren't mine, would you?"

Zack, Jenn and William said...

I was disappointed to get your comment on our blog, and then disapppointed to read this update. I pray for peace and comfort as you deal with this news, and also that you guys will be able to move on soon and find other children that are meant to be a part of your forever family.

The Flying Eagle said...

Oh no!!!! I am so sorry - I totally understand how the loss of child held in your heart is just as devastating as lossing a child that you have held in your arms. We will pray that God quickly reveals his plan for your family to you so that your hands can hug the children your heart so desires :-)

ArtworkByRuth said...

Never nasty comments! A loss is a loss, no matter how it comes. That is the one thing that is hard to explain about adoption, loving a child that isn't "yours" yet, and grieving the loss like a death when it doesn't work out. I am glad to know you are looking at RR too! Praying that you are comforted and know God's peace!

his wife, their mama said...

I am so sorry to hear the sad news. You are in my thoughts and prayers daily.

Thuy said...

Sad news, Courtney. Thanks for sharing it with us so we can think of you guys. God's been gracious to you guys with the boys, so I know He has something really creative up His sleeve for the next Olmsteders. :)

Debora Hoffmann said...

I understand. They are all losses, and they are painful. The children of miscarriage are waiting for you in Heaven, as is our little one from our ectopic pregnancy. I'm glad for the girls that they will have a loving home, and I'm sure God will continue to guide you to the children He wants to add to your family. Big hugs to you!

Sarah Halter said...

Wow, that's hard. I'm praying for peace, grace and patience as this journey unfolds. Love you lots.

Julie said...

I'm so sorry Courtney. What would we do without our Lord when things are going tough?

Tonya said...

I am so sorry. I can understand your disappointment.

The comfort in all of this is that you know how God leads you to your children because you have experienced it with your boys. Praying that you have a heart at peace. (((hug)))