Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Danielle's glass

Last night as Danielle was carrying her glass to the kitchen she didn't quite get it up on the counter. It fell to the tile floor and shattered at her feet. I'm afraid I scared the living daylights out of her when I yelled "Danielle--stop!!" I was terrified she was going to reach down and try to pick up the broken glass. I dashed into the kitchen (from the dining room) and picked her up and put her on the stool next to the kitchen counter. At which point she started crying. :(

I reassured her that she was not in trouble for breaking the glass and Mark did the same, but it took her awhile to realize that she really wasn't in trouble. Mark came in and moved her back to the dining room table and that helped her relax...although she still kept saying "I break my glass" every few minutes. :) She was fine by the time we all left the dinner table.

Thankfully Danielle wasn't hurt and one glass here or there is of no consequence. I do hope, however, that it will help reinforce that she needs to pay attention to what she's doing. She is our absolute worst about getting distracted when she's doing something. I remember the boys being like that too--I think there are still so many things that are new and different and a lot to catch her eye. She's only been home for 8 months but has already come so far--it's easy to forget how much is still new to her!

1 comment:

Winnie said...

I did the same thing to my little guy not long after he came home. He picked up a glass his brother had left on the front porch and dropped it in the entry shattering it, when I saw it I yelled at him to stop as he was barefoot! I immediately had a tearful little guy but it didn't have lasting effects.