Friday, January 29, 2010

Pray for "Katie"

On Tuesday the kids had a special chapel at school. The son of one of the teachers is a missionary in Haiti and shared with the kids about the orphanage he works with there and a little about the earthquake (not graphic details, just that there had been an earthquake and people needed help).

When I picked the kids up from school on Tuesday, the first thing out of Tim's mouth was "MAMA! We need to pray for Katie! She had an earthquake!"

I giggled to myself as I said "I think you mean Haiti...with an H."

He doesn't know Haiti, but he does know Katie. I'm not sure what exactly he thinks happened to her with this earthquake but I'm guessing we need a playdate sometime soon so he can make sure she's okay. ;) (Katie is a friend of the boys from our previous church so they don't see her very often anymore.)

As a side note, it just occurred to me that none of the kids seemed to do any processing with the orphanage bit. I'm a little surprised that they didn't make the connection to the kids in Haiti living in an orphanage and their previous life in Ukraine. I don't think, however, that they know that the word "orphanage" is the word for where they lived in Ukraine so maybe it just didn't click. Interesting.

No comments: